Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2016

1929: WHEN QUALITY WAS KING - THE NEW TRENTON CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL

Like many area residents, I was saddened to see that the legendary Trenton Central High School had to be done in. In my ignorance of the building trades, I thought that even though there was water damage throughout the building due to shoddy maintenance over the years, the red brick super structure could be saved and the interior of the red brick shell re-built with modern classrooms inserted. Newer construction could have been extended out the back end of the building. However, and very unfortunately, experts far more knowledgeable than I said it would be too expensive and too much extra labor. Even though I am a Hamilton High alumnus, my memories of the great rivalry between HHS, Trenton High and Trenton Catholic hearkened back to the golden years of that great high school  where educational excellence prevailed.

3 comments:

Sally Logan Gilman said...

Hi Tom: I graduated from THS in 1955 and have fond memories. What a shame that it was razed. I loved my high school years and all the wonderful experiences -- Sports Nite, having some of the same teachers that taught my parents (Constantine Diamond for chemistry) and a performance by Bill Haley and The Comets. My English teacher, DR. Angell Mathewson got me an internship with The Trentonian and for that I will always be grateful. It launched my career as a reporter and without THS who knows what my future may have been. Thanks, as always, for the memories. Regards

Lee Belardino said...

Tommy
Like you I am HHS alumnus and Trenton high was our biggest rival. It was great when we beat them in soccer. I was our goalie and John Easton was theirs. John and I became friends playing in the city 15 year old basketball league and he went on to become one of The best all around athletes in the city and a great guy.
Lee

SJBill said...

Hi, Lee,

While a senior at THS in 1964 I joined the Naval Reserves (Division 4-64) down on Lamberton Road. Turns out the officer in charge of this lowly recruit was a 6'2" Princeton grad Lieutenant named John Easton. At the time I had no idea that he was a distinguished THS athlete/grad, nor that he had been in the Phillies Baseball system. At the time he was with PSE&G.

Like most of officers down at the Reserve Center, John was a true gentleman, and I truly enjoyed serving with him for the time before I went on active duty. I can hear his voice to this day. Very sorry that he passed away at such a young age. He was a good man.