Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

1934: HUDSON AND ELMER STREETS, "THE BURG"

I posted this very detailed R.C. Maxwell Chambersburg view some time ago. I have re-formatted the original image in order to get a better close up view of the adjoining buildings as referred to by my friend and fellow classmate, Lee Belardino.  This post, like many of these R.C. Maxwell copyrighted photos, garnered a number of interesting comments. Below are the comments; and additional comments are welcomed.
:

Thanks to Tom Krawiec for correcting my former caption where I erroneously listed building being on the Corner of Division St. and Emory Avenue. Eagle eye Tom noted that the street sign clearly says Elmer. Your input is really appreciated, Tom. Thanks for the heads up on my error. Once again, thanks to Duke University Archives for this exquisite photo from R.C. Maxwell.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
http://mackstruckofwisdom.blogspot.com/2011/09/mazzillis-market-hudson-street-burg.html
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Blogger Tom Glover said...
THANKS, ANONYMOUS. I COULDN'T FIND THE BUILDING ON HUDSON STREET, BUT IT HAS PROBABLY BEEN MODIFIED AS LISTED IN MACK'S POST OF MAZZILI PERSONNEL. THE BING BUILDING ON THE CORNER OF DIVISION SURE LOOKS LOOKED LIKE IT, BUT THANKS TO MACK, WE KNOW THEY WERE ON EMERY AND HUDSON WHERE THERE IS NO CONVENTIONAL CORNER.
TOM GLOVER
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Lee Belardino said...
Tommy: Mazzilli and Battisti were located on the corner of Hudson and Elmer. Next door was Popkin's shoe store where I worked when I was 12 years old 3days a week after 6 and all day Saturday. Used to flirt with Battisti Mazzilli girls who sometimes gave me free Tasty cakes.

THANKS, LEE. It's nice to post photos that you all can relate to. Stay tuned....there will be more.
Tom
Tom Krawiec said...
The street sign over top of the store's front door say's "Elmer St"
Tom Glover said...
THANKS, TOM KRAWIEC:

I MADE A MISTAKE AND ENTERED EMORY. THANKS FOR THAT EAGLE EYE! I AM CHANGING IT.

TOM GLOVER

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
http://mackstruckofwisdom.blogspot.com/2011/09/mazzillis-market-hudson-street-burg.html
Tom Glover said...
THANKS, ANONYMOUS. I COULDN'T FIND THE BUILDING ON HUDSON STREET, BUT IT HAS PROBABLY BEEN MODIFIED. THE ONE ON THE CORNER OF DIVISION SURE LOOKS LIKE IT.
TOM GLOVER
Lee Belardino said...
Tommy,Mazzili and Battisti were located on the corner of Hudson and Elmer . Next door was Popkins shoe store where I worked when I was 12 years old 3days a week after 6 and all day Saturday. Used to flirt with Battisti Mazzili girls who sometimes gave me free Tasty cakes.
Tom Krawiec said...
The street sign over top of the store's front door say's "Elmer St"
Tom Glover said...
THANKS, TOM KRAWIEC:

I MADE A MISTAKE AND ENTERED EMORY. THANKS FOR THAT EAGLE EYE! I AM CHANGING IT.

TOM GLOVER

1 comment:

SJBill said...

Mazzilli's was a truly wonderful local market. It was here that I first saw Italian olives displayed in open trays, instead of jars with pimientos stuffed in them. What a beautiful fruit! There were lots of canned Italian specialties like lupini beans, peppers and and giardiniera. I hunted for these items when I was back in the Navy to share with members of my division. I had to go elsewhere for salamis and provolone.

Back in the 60s the exterior of Mazzilli Market was dolled up a bit with a green corrugated façade.

Before I forget, the outside where the car is parked on the wrong side of the street (a Burg tradition, along with double and triple parking) was where Trentonians would be dropped off for delivery by the local paper boys.