Search This Blog

Friday, February 27, 2015

RADIO: AN IMPORTANT PART OF MY PERSONAL LIFE


These graphics bring back crystal clear memories of that wonderful media known as "broadcast radio" which was a very necessary part of every family back during the 20's through the 1950's. The engraving above shows a typical 1930's family gathered around the radio.
My interest in radio is with me even up to today as I have assembled a vast collection of "OTR" as in "old time radio" transcriptions which have been converted to a medium that lets me listen to those old time episodes of "Superman," "Terry and the Pirates," and countless other programs in my digital collection. At the present time I am listening to "The Ave Maria" hour which was a network program presented by the Greymoor Fathers in upstate New York It is a multi episode transcription on the life of Jesus and I listen to it every night as I am slowly slipping off to sleep.

As to the lower photos, those are the two radio receives I used during my clandestine cloak and dagger mission with the Army Security Agency back in the 1950's when I was stationed first in Germany, then down to Northern Italy where I evesdropped.

1 comment:

SJBill said...

Tom, I found a video of your baby on YouTube. Hoping you don't mind the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG_fd_cZeiU

I loved listening to the world in the late 50s and early 60s on my Hallicrafters S-107. Heard the Cuban Missile Crisis first hand on both VOA, Radio Moscow and Radio Cuba.

A bit later, we had a few rather engaging folks with substantial equipment aboard my ship when we deployed somewhere offshore of Norway. I forgot which exact direction Norway was - I think it was somewhere to the south, and maybe southwest. Our guys were CTs (communications Technicians), and a few spoke with accents.

My Navy rating was rather obscure, being designated an AX - Aviation Antisubmarine Warfare Technician.

Unlike today, we knew who our adversary was and were allowed to engage them in a limited fashion.