Search This Blog

Saturday, August 09, 2014

"2014 IF I WERE A RICH MAN"

"If I were a rich man, ya da dah dah da dum..." So goes the song from "Fiddler on the Roof." Indeed, if I were a rich, rich, ,man, I would be first in line to seek out those historic sites that are being neglected and allowed to deteriorate due to the lack of funding to restore, or at least preserve them for possible future restoration. The link above was sent to me by my friend and auto historian Ray Paskiewicz. The link will take you to a video telling the story of the very first "Air Force One" which was a Lockheed "Constellation" used by President Eisenhower. A real sad story as we see at the end of the video the historic aircraft rotting away in the Arizona desert. Below is a photo of one of Hamilton's historic treasures which is now boarded up and presenting a depressing site on Nottingham Way here in Hamilton. It occurred to me that this historic old structure built back in the 1890's by Charles Fulkert would be a wonderful headquarters for Hamilton's exquisite "Grounds For Sculpture"or another local entity with the interest in historic preservation. Ahh, If only I were a rich man!"

3 comments:

Ca ndy Frenking Jens said...

Tom, have you brought up the idea with Grounds for Sculpture? Does the property adjoin theirs? There also is/was a Hamilton preservation group that might have some influence. I guess the Inn's further use depends on the deterioration, which is hard to tell . . .

Tom Glover said...

Hi Candy....nice to hear from you again. I'm sure the preservation groups are aware of the deteriorating condition of the building. I hope someone comes forward to help preserve it.

Anonymous said...

The plane has been renovated and is flying. Check YouTube .